June 30, 2012

Samstag, Juni 30, 2012

It is starting to heat up over here. It has been around 30-32°C. It's kinda nice. It isn't nearly as hot as it is back home it sounds like, though. Tell you the truth: I miss those dead-hot humid days! They make inside feel so much better. Over here in Germany they don't have AC. Actually, I'm pretty sure they don't have AC in Europe, because I didn't see any in Switzerland or Austria, and Elder Buntain says there aren't any in England as well. The houses over here are pretty well insulated, though, and you don't really need AC.

Germany lost to Italy, though, this past week (in the European Championship). We watched the game with a member, and man, was it horrible! Germany played so badly. It was bad playing and bad coaching. The Germany coach didn't even start all of Germany's best players. Germany really does have a good team, but they just didn't play to their potential and the manager kinda screwed a lot of things up. I was really hoping Germany would win. It’s all good though.

I went to Dachau this past week for P-Day. Dachau is where one of the first concentration camps was. The first prisoners went into Dachau 6 weeks after Hitler had come into power. It was definitely a place to see and experience. Everyone should see one of those camps at least once, I think. It really bothered one of my companions, but what I felt and saw there was kinda something I was expecting. I met around 6 members of the church from the States as we were at Dachau. It was kinda cool. Pretty much everything there was in English, because really only Americans are the ones who go to places like that (lol) - the Germans don't ever go to places like Dachau. They all have to go to a concentration camp once when they're in school, but I'm pretty sure that’s the only time they go to one.

The week has been good, though. I'm not really doing much in the office. I'm just there when Elder Bauerfeind has a question, pretty much. I get a lot of reading done, which is nice. I like reading in my scriptures. We met with Okafor the past week, and it is pretty cool because he may be going to a YSA (Young Single Adult) dance which is coming up (lol). That would be so awesome if he went. He's a funny dude.

We got back in touch with the family that we were teaching a little while back. They hadn't been coming to church or anything because the husband realized that the Book of Mormon was “the” Book of Mormon. You'll be surprised how many people think that, but he gave the wife and the kids a really hard time and pretty much stopped them from coming to church and meeting with us. But we went by one time and the wife was so happy to see us! You could tell that she had been wanting to meet with us very badly. She said she has fixed everything with her husband now and we have an appointment with them tonight. It's awesome.

Then, we started teaching a lady named Rachael. She is a referral from a member and she is pretty cool. We can only meet with her once a week for now, though, because of work. And the last appointment we had with her didn't work out because of work.

The 4th of July is coming up, though, and I'm excited! It's going to be awesome. But that’s all really for this week. Tschüß (Bye).

[ Elder Kümmel (Elder Caraway) ]

______



"Arbeit macht frei" means "Work sets/makes you free".
That's something they would drill in the heads of the prisoners of Dachau -
because they were there for political reasons mainly - that weren't Jews.
Jews didn't receive such a thing of being ‘set free’.

Some memorials of remembrance ...















This is inside of one of the barracks that they slept in.
Dachau was overcrowded form the beginning.
It was made to hold around 6,000 inmates,
but always had 30,000 to 40,000 inmates in there at one time.


Where barracks use to be.





A crematorium


A gas chamber

A waiting room

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages for Elder Caraway